Skip to content

My Baby Ate Baby Shampoo

In this blog post, we’ll go over what you should do if your baby has eaten baby shampoo, including important steps to take to ensure your baby’s safety. While it’s always best to prevent accidents like this from happening in the first place, knowing how to respond can help you feel more confident and in control if something does go wrong.

How to get shampoo out of a baby’s mouth?

If your baby has ingested baby shampoo, it’s important to act quickly. Here are some steps you can take to get the shampoo out of your baby’s mouth:

  • Call poison control: Before doing anything else, call the poison control hotline. They can provide you with important advice on what to do next and may recommend taking your baby to the hospital.
  • Rinse your baby’s mouth: If your baby is not experiencing any symptoms, you can rinse their mouth with water to help remove any shampoo residue. Use a small amount of water and gently swish it around your baby’s mouth before spitting it out.
  • Wipe away any residue: Use a soft, damp cloth to wipe away any shampoo that may be on your baby’s face or hands. This will help prevent any additional shampoo from being ingested.
  • Monitor your baby: After rinsing and wiping, observe your baby for any signs of distress or discomfort. If your baby starts to vomit, have difficulty breathing, or experiences any other concerning symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

Remember, prevention is always the best course of action. Be sure to keep all baby products, including shampoo, out of reach of your baby to prevent accidental ingestion

Does baby shampoo have harmful chemicals?

Baby shampoo is formulated to be gentle and safe for a baby’s delicate skin and hair. However, some baby shampoos may contain chemicals that some parents prefer to avoid. Here are some of the commonly found ingredients in baby shampoo and their potential risks:

  • Sulfates: Many baby shampoos contain sulfates such as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) or sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), which are known to be harsh on skin and can cause irritation. Some studies have linked sulfates to organ toxicity, although the evidence is not yet conclusive.
  • Fragrances: Fragrances are added to baby shampoos to make them smell good. However, they can also cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some babies.
  • Parabens: Parabens are preservatives used to extend the shelf life of baby shampoo. Some studies have linked parabens to hormonal imbalances, although the evidence is not yet conclusive.
  • Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives: These preservatives are used to prevent bacterial growth in baby shampoo. However, they can release formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, over time.

While some of these chemicals may pose a potential risk, it’s important to note that baby shampoo is regulated by government agencies such as the FDA and is generally considered safe for use. If you have concerns about the ingredients in your baby’s shampoo, look for natural or organic brands or talk to your pediatrician for recommendations.

Can you wash a baby with baby shampoo?

Yes, it is generally safe to wash a baby with baby shampoo. Baby shampoo is specifically formulated to be gentle and mild on a baby’s delicate skin and hair. It is also designed to be tear-free, which means it won’t irritate your baby’s eyes if it gets into them.

When washing your baby with baby shampoo, it is important to use warm water and a soft washcloth or sponge. Gently massage the shampoo into your baby’s scalp and hair, being careful not to apply too much pressure or scrub too hard. Rinse thoroughly with water, and make sure to dry your baby’s hair and skin completely after the bath.

What happens if my baby eats shampoo?

If your baby ingests a small amount of baby shampoo, it is generally not a cause for concern. Baby shampoos are formulated to be non-toxic and safe for use on delicate baby skin and hair. However, you should still monitor your baby for any signs of an allergic reaction or gastrointestinal distress such as vomiting or diarrhea.

If your baby ingests a large amount of baby shampoo or shows any symptoms of distress, seek immediate medical attention. Ingesting large amounts of shampoo can cause stomach upset, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In some cases, it can also cause breathing difficulties or other more serious health issues.

To prevent accidental ingestion of shampoo, be sure to keep all shampoo bottles and other toiletries out of reach of your baby. Additionally, always supervise your baby during bath time to prevent them from accidentally ingesting shampoo or other bath products.

Is baby shampoo edible?

No, baby shampoo is not meant to be eaten or ingested in any way. While baby shampoos are formulated to be non-toxic and safe for use on delicate baby skin and hair, they are not intended to be consumed.

Is baby shampoo harmful if swallowed?

The surfactants, fragrances, and preservatives in baby shampoo can cause irritation, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested. In some cases, they can also cause more serious health issues, such as breathing difficulties, chemical burns to the mouth and throat, or damage to internal organs.

Is Johnson baby shampoo chemical free?

No, Johnson’s Baby Shampoo is not completely chemical-free, as it contains a range of ingredients, including surfactants, fragrances, and preservatives.

However, Johnson’s Baby Shampoo is formulated to be gentle and mild on a baby’s delicate skin and hair, and it is carefully tested to ensure it is safe for use. The company also claims to follow strict safety standards and to avoid using certain chemicals that are known to be harmful or controversial, such as phthalates, parabens, and sulfates.

1 thought on “My Baby Ate Baby Shampoo”

  1. My baby never slept well (especially through the night) until I started using – by far one of the best things I’ve ever got my hands on to get him to fall asleep quickly. Best time is 45 seconds from awake to asleep! Can’t imagine life without it! I heard about it through a kindergarten teacher who uses it to put to sleep a group of 30 children. Check it out at – highly recommended! Best of luck to you and your family! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *