Has your little one taken a taste of their baby shampoo? Discover what to do if your baby ate baby shampoo, how it may affect them, and preventative measures to avoid such incidents in the future.
What Is in Baby Shampoo?
Baby shampoo is made to be gentle on your baby’s delicate skin and hair. It usually contains mild surfactants, moisturizers, and fragrance, all of which are generally non-toxic. However, they are not meant to be ingested.
Immediate Steps if Your Baby Ingests Baby Shampoo
If your baby ingests baby shampoo, it’s important to act promptly and calmly. Here are some steps to follow:
- Stay calm: It’s essential to remain calm to accurately assess the situation and act accordingly.
- Check your baby’s mouth: Remove any remaining shampoo from your baby’s mouth.
- Call Poison Control: Contact your local poison control center immediately. They can provide advice based on the specific shampoo ingested and your baby’s weight.
- Monitor your baby: Keep a close watch for any signs of distress, such as coughing, vomiting, or excessive drooling.
Prevention: How to Keep Baby Shampoo Out of Baby’s Mouth
Preventing babies from putting non-food items in their mouth can be a challenge. Here are some measures you can take to prevent future incidents:
- Store out of reach: Keep baby shampoos and other toiletries out of your baby’s reach.
- Supervise bath time: Always stay with your baby during bath time to ensure they don’t ingest bath products.
- Baby-proof your home: Ensure your house is baby-proofed, with potential hazards kept away from your baby’s curious hands.
Is Baby Shampoo Harmful When Swallowed?
Baby shampoos are typically formulated with milder substances to be gentle on a baby’s skin and eyes. However, they’re not meant to be ingested. If your baby swallows some, it’s generally not harmful in small quantities, but it’s always advisable to contact a healthcare professional or your local poison control center.
Recognizing the Signs of Ingestion
Signs that your baby may have ingested shampoo include excessive drooling, vomiting, or coughing. If your baby shows any signs of distress or discomfort, seek immediate medical attention.
Understanding Baby Shampoo Ingredients
Most baby shampoos contain mild surfactants, moisturizers, and fragrance. Though generally non-toxic, some ingredients could potentially cause irritation or allergic reactions. Always check the ingredients list before purchasing.
Benzene in Shampoo: Risks and Alternatives
While most baby shampoos do not contain benzene, some adult shampoos and dry shampoos have been found to contain this substance. Benzene is a known carcinogen, and its presence in any product is a cause for concern. Always check the ingredients list, opt for benzene-free shampoos, and follow any product recalls closely.
Distinguishing Toxic and Non-Toxic Shampoos
Some shampoos, including dry shampoos, may contain harmful substances such as benzene, sulfates, or certain surfactants. Always choose shampoos labeled as non-toxic and specifically formulated for babies. Dove Baby Shampoo, for example, is generally a safe option, but as always, check the ingredients list before using.
Real-Life Parent Stories
“My 10-month-old son, Liam, got hold of the baby shampoo bottle. After cleaning his mouth and watching him, he was okay. Poison control was reassuring in this panic moment.” – Emma, mother of Liam
“Sophie, our 1-year-old, swallowed some baby shampoo. We wiped her mouth and kept a close eye on her. She was fine, but we learned to keep bath products out of her reach.” – David, father of Sophie
“It was terrifying when my 2-year-old, Jackson, ingested his baby shampoo. He coughed a bit, but after some water and monitoring, he was fine by the next day.” – Susan, mother of Jackson
“My 8-month-old, Max, swallowed some baby shampoo. We called poison control and watched for any signs. He was fine, but we’re now more diligent about storing these items safely.” – Mike, father of Max
How SleepBaby.org Can Help
If you’re worried about how ingesting shampoo may impact your baby’s sleep, SleepBaby.org can provide guidance. While it’s not common for ingesting baby shampoo to affect sleep, your baby might be upset or uncomfortable after the incident, making it harder for them to rest. SleepBaby.org offers expert advice on how to soothe distressed babies and promote healthy sleep patterns. Visit SleepBaby.org for more information on managing your baby’s sleep under various circumstances.
When to Seek Medical Help
If your baby shows signs of distress or discomfort after ingesting baby shampoo — such as continued vomiting, coughing, or refusal to eat — seek immediate medical attention.
While it can be frightening if your baby ingests baby shampoo, remember that these products are generally non-toxic. However, you should still take immediate action to ensure your baby’s safety, and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.