Skip to content

What to Do When Your Baby Eats a Washable Marker

We’ve all been there: You turn your back for just a moment, and your little explorer gets into something they shouldn’t. Today’s adventure? They’ve gotten hold of a washable marker, and it looks like some of it may have been ingested. Don’t panic! Here’s everything you need to know about what to do when your baby eats a washable marker.

Are Washable Markers Safe?

Most washable markers are non-toxic and made with water-based ink, making them safe for kids to use. However, this doesn’t mean they’re safe to eat. While ingesting small amounts usually won’t cause serious harm, it’s still crucial to keep an eye out for potential side effects.

Potential Side Effects

If your baby has ingested a washable marker, they may experience the following:

  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach ache
  • Colorful stool

What Should You Do?

Firstly, stay calm. Then follow these steps:

  1. Check the product label or the manufacturer’s website for any warnings or first aid instructions.
  2. Contact a healthcare professional or poison control center immediately.
  3. Monitor your baby for any signs of distress or discomfort.

Potential Consequences of Ingesting a Marker

Generally, washable markers are created to be non-toxic and safe for children’s use. However, ingestion could still lead to mild and usually temporary side effects. Here’s what you might observe:

  1. Nausea or upset stomach
  2. Colored stools
  3. Discomfort or mild pain

Immediate Steps to Take If Your Baby Eats a Marker

What to do when your baby eats a marker, be it Crayola, Bazic, or any other brand:

  1. Stay calm – most markers, especially those designed for kids, are non-toxic.
  2. Read the marker’s product label for any specific warnings or advice.
  3. Contact a healthcare professional or your local poison control center for advice.
  4. Monitor your baby closely for any signs of discomfort or unusual behavior.

Can Specific Brands of Markers Cause Harm?

Most brands, including Crayola and Sharpie, design their markers to be safe, even if ingested in small amounts. This includes Crayola’s Pip Squeaks and Color Wonder markers and Bazic’s washable markers. However, always check the packaging or contact the manufacturer if you’re unsure.

Precautions for Using Markers with Babies and Toddlers

It’s important to take precautions when introducing markers to young children. Here are some suggestions:

  1. Supervise your child while they’re using markers.
  2. Teach your child that markers are for drawing, not eating or drawing on their body.
  3. Keep all markers out of reach when not in use.
  4. Opt for markers labeled as non-toxic and washable for the safest choice.

Dealing with Sharpie Marker Incidents

Sharpie markers are generally non-toxic. However, they contain alcohol and shouldn’t be ingested. If your child has ingested a Sharpie marker or used it on their skin, it’s essential to clean the area and monitor them for any signs of discomfort.

What About Other Art Supplies?

While markers are a common concern, it’s also worth noting that other art supplies can pose similar risks. Crayons and paints, like markers, are generally non-toxic but still not meant for ingestion. Always supervise your child during craft time, teach them the proper use of art supplies, and keep all supplies out of reach when not in use.

Real Stories From Parents Dealing with Babies Ingesting Markers

“Oh, the horror on my face when I walked into the living room and saw my 18-month-old daughter, Lily, with her face smeared in blue Crayola washable marker! I’d left her alone just for a moment to answer a phone call. She had managed to fish out the markers from the bottom of her older brother’s craft bin. At first, I was panicked, then I noticed she was giggling, oblivious of my worry. I immediately checked the Crayola box and sighed in relief seeing the ‘non-toxic’ label. I called her pediatrician to be safe, and they assured me it was fine, just to watch for any unusual behavior. That blue poop for the next day or two, though… Yikes! Lesson learned: Always keep art supplies out of reach!”

“As an artist, I always wanted my little son to share my love for colors. But I never imagined he would taste them before he learns to paint! One day I found him munching on a Bazic washable marker. I was terrified and called Poison Control right away. They asked about the brand and marker type and assured me that he would be okay. They advised to give him some water and monitor him. He seemed completely unaffected, and besides a rainbow-colored diaper, nothing was out of ordinary. Since then, I’ve made sure to keep my art supplies locked away.” Can Help

At, we know that baby’s sleep is connected to their overall health and happiness. A baby who ingested something they shouldn’t have might have trouble sleeping due to discomfort or anxiety. Our expert tips on soothing a fussy baby can help you ease your little one’s distress and get them back to sleep. We also offer resources on creating a safe and engaging environment for your baby to keep incidents like this to a minimum.

Prevention is Key

The best way to handle such situations is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Always keep art supplies and other potential hazards out of your baby’s reach. Regularly check your home for safety hazards, especially as your baby becomes more mobile.

Final Thoughts

While the experience of your baby eating a washable marker can be stressful, remember that most markers are non-toxic. However, it’s essential to take any ingestion of non-food items seriously and seek medical advice. Prevention is the best approach, so ensure to baby-proof your home adequately.