Skip to content

Does My Baby Need a Passport?

Any family trips that require you to travel outside of the county will be on hold until you receive a passport for your baby. Regardless of the age of your child, any living person who is traveling internationally must have a passport. Putting in an application for a child requires more documents than for an adult. You will want to plan accordingly. If you are missing some of the required documents, the application will not be approved until all of the required information is satisfied. If you have all the required documents, this process will be much easier.

1. Fill out a DS-11 Form

You must first fill out a DS-11 form. The form can be printed and filled out at home, at your post office, or your local acceptance agency office. If, for some reason, you unable to get your child’s social security number, you must provide a sworn statement stating this fact. The statement must have your baby’s full name, be dated, signed, and state that you acknowledge that you have no social security information for your child. Once you have all of this done, you will want to wait to sign the form. You must be instructed by the person accepting the application before you can add your signature.

2.Head to your local agency or post office

You can turn in your form at your local post office or your local passport acceptance office. You can find your local passport acceptance office online. You will want to keep in mind that some passport acceptance offices require you to make an appointment.

3.Show proof of citizenship with an original document

For proof of citizenship, you can use an expired passport, birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certification of Birth. If you are using a U.S birth certificate, It will have to meet certain requirements.

  • Must have been given by the city, county, or state of birth
  • Must have applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
  • Must list parent(s) full name
  • It must have the date it was filed(within one year of birth)
  • Must have registrar’s signature
  • Must have the seal of the issuing authority

Your baby’s U.S birth certificate should meet all the requirements, but you can always double-check to be safe. Please do not forget to create a photocopy of your baby’s proof of citizenship. The photocopy will be turned in with your application.

4. Bring proof of your parental relationship to your baby

For proof of a parental relationship with your baby, you can use any of the following documents.

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Divorce/Custody decree
  • consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

If you have none of the following documents, you can find further instructions on the travel state gov site.

5. Bring a valid ID and a photocopy of ID to the agency

Parent(s) will need to bring one of the following forms of ID.

  • valid driver’s license
  • Valid or expired U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular

If you cannot supply one of the following documents, you can find further instructions on the travel state gov site.

6. You must give your consent as a parent

Both parents must be present if you have two parents listed on the birth certificate. If you have obtained sole custody of your baby, you will be required to show proof of this.

  • court order granting you sole legal custody of the child
  • court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport
  • copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person

If the other parent is unable to appear for whatever circumstance, you must fill out, sign, and date a DS-3053 form somewhere certified to notarize.

7. Bring a photo

You will be required to take a picture of your baby. You want to be particularly careful when taking your baby’s photo; any problems will cause a delay in the approval of your baby’s application. The official state site recommends putting a white blanket behind the baby. You can hold the baby’s head up with your hand or take a picture of your baby in their car seat. The picture must be in color, and there must be no filter. You can find the full list of requirements on the state gov site. When taking a picture of a baby, some of the requirements on the list will be a little hard to meet. As long as the picture is clear and meets the size and resolution requirements, you will be okay.

8. Pay Fees

One of the last things to do is submit your payment. A passport book will cost $80, a passport card will be 15$, and a passport book and a card will be 95$. You are not required to buy a passport book and a passport card. If you get only a passport card for your baby, you will not travel internationally by air. Your baby will only travel by land and sea to the following places Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

9. Submit and track your completed application.

Once you’ve finally made it to the last step, you will track your application in 7-10 days.


Once your application is submitted, it can take 6-8 weeks to receive your baby’s passport. If you paid to have the process expedited, it should arrive in 2-3 weeks. You can check your application status on the official Travel state government page. A Possibly time-consuming process but nothing a parent can’t handle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *